The Europe Challenge 2022
What is the Europe Challenge?
In May 2022, 60 libraries and communities applied to join the Europe Challenge 2022, including school, cultural, prison, academic, city and rural libraries.
Successful entries announced on 24 June, 2022, will benefit from a 12-month programme of funding and support to help them work together in a democratic way to design, test, and improve their solutions.
Entries were asked to address key themes for the programme: making the library a safe cultural space for different people, and providing access to trusted information and curated knowledge.
Every challenge had to be shared by both the library and the community, and be useful to people across Europe.
Some of the themes from entries included:
- Social and financial inequality
- Methods to reduce food and fuel expenditure
- Sustainable (circular) economy
- Queering in the library – access and literature
- Migration and new communities integration
Below, you can see a list of the successful entries.
- Agorateca Community Library and Agorateca’s community (Altamura)
- Athens Comics Library and Refugee Week Greece (Athens)
- Bernardini Library and TdF Mediterranea APS (Lecce)
- Bibioteka Azyl and Independant Queer students (Lublin)
- Bibliomediateca G. Racioppi and Patto Locale per la Lettura del Lagonegrese (Moliterno)
- Biblioteca Canova and Carcere di Sollicciano (Florence)
- Biblioteca Comunale di Concesio anf Utenti della Biblioteca (Concesio)
- Biblioteca da Penha de França and Making the neighbourhood our home (Lisbon)
- Biblioteca Eduardo Pérez de la Fanosa de Busto and Asociación Busto de Valdés and Santiago de Castañedo (Valdés)
- Biblioteca Municipal Miguel Arguisjuela and Talyata (Paterna Del Campo)
- Biblioteki bez granic and Libraries without borders: Readers’ community (Warsaw)
- City of Glasgow College Library Service and Widening access and Community (Glasgow)
- Culture Perth and Kinross Libraries and Her Majesty’s Prison (Perth)
- Feminist Library of the Feminist Autonomous Centre for Research and MiQ (Athens)
- Finchley Church End Library and Community Network Group CIC (London)
- ICCROM Library and Istituto Comprensivo Statale Regina Margherita (Rome)
- Klaipeda City Municipality Immanuel Kant Public Library and Green Community (Klaipeda)
- The Franc Ksaver Meško Library and Adult Education Centre (Ormož)
- Learning Center ARhus and #HACK (Roeselare)
- Lesia Ukrainka Public Library of Kyiv (Kyiv)
- Luigi Einaudi and Teenager Dogliani (Dogliani)
- Multiplo Centro Cultura Cavriago and Cooperativa Accento (Cavriago)
- Novi Sad City Library and Kulturis Association (Novi Sad)
- Pencho Slaveykov Regional Library and Bookfan.tasy (Varna)
- Quarto Oggiaro Public Library and Milan Condominium Libraries Network (Milan)
- School Library of the 3rd Primary School of Chios and Parent Association (Chios)
- Storyhouse and Cheshire, Halton and Warrington Race and Equality Centre (Cheshire)
- Ternopil Regional Universal Scientific Library and Ternopil Regional Branch of the Ukrainian Library Association (Ternopil)
- Torras i Bages de Vilafranca del Penedès and Educational Community (Vilafranca del Penedès)
- Valmiera Library’s Branch Library and Vaidava Parish Library (Vaidava)
- We Need Books and Greek Forum of Migrant (Athens)
- Western Isles Libraries and Outer Hebrides (Stornoway)